Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First Lumbar Puncture

Yesterday I did my first lumbar puncture. It is done at the end of the spinal cord near the tail bone.

Purpose is to extract some spinal fluid to test and to put the chemo medicine into it too.

Doctor requested for me to do LP so that the medicine used is lesser and can be concentrated at the spinal fluid. It is to reduce the chance of it relapsing by 60-70%.

Because my lymphoma is at the spinal cord, the chance of it relapsing is very high. So doing the LP is necessary and need to do 4 times.

Total I took 4 local anesthesia (LA) and I had to lie to the side, curl up like a fetus. First time they poke in, they couldn't get any fluid so they poke another spot.

They also asked me changed position to a seated position and lean over a table.

I could feel some tingling sensation like a raw gum feeling. Scary max!

The whole procedure took 45 minutes or so. The whole procedure I distracted myself by sms-ing my dear cousin and the doctor said I was the first patient to do so.

She said I am the best patient! Yay yay!

Compared this to my bone marrow aspiration, I find it lumbar puncture is more painful! And the nurse was amazed that I actually felt this was more painful lolx.

And now, the sore is still there like a big blue black behind me. Felt like the nerves are in a mess at my pelvis area.

Blah!

No comments:

Post a Comment