Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New neighbour-Grace

This stay, I got to know a new neighbour - Grace.

I think she is in her 60s-70s. Diagnosed with advanced liver cancer.

But she say she do not want to go through chemo. Awaiting for the time to come and meet god.

Waiting for a bed in the hospice.

For a moment, I didn't know how to react. All along, the people I met, they are fighting to live. Go for chemo, go for operation and dialysis. They fight to survive.

But for Grace, she chose to give up. I don't know how to react or what questions to ask her.

I feel sad because I cannot imagine if I am her. I will be damn afraid. Imagine the cancer cells eat up your body and you smell of morphine, because you need morphine to get through the pain. Then, you will wither and become left with bones and die. (Is that how you die when cancer cells kill you?)

You know what is the best part? All her life she drank lots of anti-oxidant green tea with brown rice, eat oats every morning. She eat very healthy, never drink. And she gets liver cancer, advanced stage somemore.

So what?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty tragic ah.

    But i guess she will feel more at peace with this decision. About the eating healthy, some things are just not within our control. We do our best to enhance all the controllables....whereas the uncontrollable...just leave to someone up there who is more powerful to handle lah.

    ReplyDelete