Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New friend

The last stay at SGH, there was a patient, Helen (it's her real name), who is coincidentally my neighbour during my stay.

A short introduction of her: 58 year old lady, married with one son. Worked in the Immigration and Checkpoint as some officer who checks people coming into Singapore. Is currently going through treatment for myeloma. It is a rare blood cancer which affects 4 out of 100,000 people. And it is generally thought as incurable. She has went though a series of chemo but apparently her body does not respond to chemo so now she has to go through a stem cell transplant. This has been going on for a year or something. Her doctor said if she hadn't found out of this cancer, she could only have 2 more years. Now hopefully she can extend to 12 years with all the treatment.

How will you feel, if your doctor tells you that you only have 12 more years to live?

She said she would like to do sewing when she is well. And she has been going to work. She feels alive going to work and at no thoughts of retiring earlier. She planned to retire at 62 years old.

A brave lady. Very optimistic and strong.

She makes me feel embarrassed at my own problems. My sickness is so treatable, so insignificant beside hers.And I also have no plans when I am well! I only plan if I should go HK or else where. hahahhaa..

She really made my stay so enjoyable listening to her stories. Time passes faster and we even exchanged numbers.

She said whenever she had treatment at NCC, she would see alot of young people there too. She will pray for them and hope they recover soon.

Because myeloma causes bone lesions, she start to worry that she might become immobile. So she insist she has to be independent and make full use of her legs. But she isn't quite sad because she said immobile comes with old age and she is ageing too.

I pray for you, Helen. Let's FIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment