Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Aren't we fortunate?

While doing inpatient this time, met this woman from Vietnam. She is at the bed beside me. Mid 30s. Her legs have no strength like mine. But I am worried for her because her legs has been numbed for 3 months plus. I wonder if she will recover :(

She specifically come to Singapore to do treatment. She said she sold one house and one land just to pay for the treatment and hotel fees. When she is doing inpatient, her mother and her brother who came to Singapore with her will sleep on the chairs in hospital. So that they save costs on the hotel. I saw her mother lying on two chairs beside her bed. Felt so touched.

She makes me feel so fortunate as a Singaporean. Places like Vietnam do not have the sufficient medical equipment and facilities. They have to come all the way here to do treatment. She is considered lucky she can afford to come here. There must be a lot of poor people in her country and other parts of our neighbouring countries who cannot afford to come here.

One of the nurses told me that in her country, Philippines, patients have to pay first before they get the treatment done.

In Singapore, we are not rejected. We get the rights to be treated first. We can get social workers for financially difficulties patients. We have insurance to pay for us. We are forced to have medisave etc.

People like them are so strong-willed. Able to survive at the harshest conditions. Sleep on the chair, leave home for treatments are all harsh conditions I cannot imagine myself being in.

I am so spoilt. I ask for outside food. Able to be home with my family members.

What else can I ask for?

We are really fortunate. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment