Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Quotes

Would like to consolidate some quotes I think is meaningful too. We need all these quotes to spur us going. These people just put our thinkings into words. They are really geniuses.

Currently in the midst of reading this book "Everything Changes". Quite an interesting book saying about how people in 20s-30s deal with cancer. The author interviewed 25 of them and asked them about relationship problems, money issues etc. Some of them really said what I am thinking just that I am of course not as good to put them in words. One thing that I find it irrelevant is that the book is in American context. Some of the things like their welfare or insurance is not applicable to us.

Ok so I found some quotes in the book quite nice and I will share more as I go through the  book more in depth.


"People at work say how strong I was and they couldn't handle cancer if it was them. I probably thought I couldn't handle it either, but when you are faced with it, what choice do you have?" - Jill Woods, 38


How apt this is. I have alot of friends telling me how strong and cheerful I am. Actually I am really seriously not. As what Jill has said, when you are faced with it, what choice do you have? 


Every human beings have the innate fighting spirit to fight to survive. 


We fight to eat, to work, to take the MRT, to Q for Mango Sales. We fight with that girl out there and gain attention for our boyfriends. We fight to protect our child. We fight like fighters.


Cancer patients or rather all patients fight to be alive. We take medicine, go through chemo or whatever necessary to be alive. 


However, I think this is the most basic form of fight, because it is fighting to survive. 


"The only change cancer has made in my life is now I splurge for a coke with my meal instead of just drinking water" - Brian Lobel 23


I like the quote above.

Just do what you want! But not in excess. I don't agree with coke hahaha. But I agree with the attitude, in a healthier way.

No comments:

Post a Comment