Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Saturday, December 10, 2011

CT Scan - Check for infections

Went for a CT scan yesterday. What an experience!

Since I was having fever that didn't subside the day before, I was being sent to do CT scans. Doctors say 90% of time fever doesn't warrant any infections but they wouldn't risk that 10% of chance.

So I have to go for a CT scan to scan for any possible infections in chest, lungs, and pelvis areas. Basically the whole body.

I really have to say about the experience of this scan. I have done CT scans before but not so complicated as this one. Maybe because it is to check for infections while the previous CT scan is to scan if there is cancerous cells in other parts of the body.

I was pushed to the radiology department. Was asked to lie down on a "bed" that has a width smaller than my body's width.

Then they took out a bottle of liquid and say "We have to pump this liquid into you -- behind. No worries. It is not enema. Will not cause you to poop. Just bear with it ok? Don't let the water come out."

Ok. Simple instructions.

So I turn to the side and they pump that liquid in. And I had to squeeze tight tight to prevent the liquid from "leaking" out of me.

Then I was asked to lie properly on my back, they are beginning to put me through this BIG GIGANTIC round machine that will do the scan for me. Can see the magnet rotating creating the magnetic fields. (That's how I think it works. That's what we learnt in school right? Hohoho)

So the bed moves front and back and there is instruction in a machine-like monotonously says "Breathe in and hold." 5 seconds later it will say "Breathe."


After the first push, I felt my stomach churning. The liquid invaded up into my intestines and I felt really the need to poo poo. That auntie cheated me :( It must be enema.

Ok since the scan was only half way done, I continue to hold my poo, because I was afraid the water will come out together!

Then comes the scary part, some anonymous lady (because I cannot see her face) came in and she said "We need to inject you with this contrast liquid ok? It is normal to feel warm. Don't worry."

Then she started to inject the contrast liquid into a plug in my hand.

This contrast liquid went into my body, 2 seconds later, my neck felt warm sensation. The feeling was..........really..........SCARY to the MAX!

It was like some monster invading the body into the throat waiting to climb out of the throat. I felt.... nauseous. GRR...

Anyway the scan was over in like 10 minutes. First thing I asked when I got off the bed was "Did the liquid come out of my pants?"

Wahahaha. I think am the most considerate patient on earth. I did not want to wet the bed mah.

See see! Please people be CONSIDERATE. Lift up the toilet bowl when you peee for guys and girls please do not pee all over the toilet bowl and not allowing the next person to use. (Don't know why when I think of being considerate, I will think of this hahaha.)

Then I rushed back to the ward and completed my big business.

I swear. That must be enema.

1 comment:

  1. It's great you can still be humorous about it :) I went through CT scan before, kinda freaky!

    ReplyDelete