Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

15th Nov 2011 (Tues): 18th day in Hospital (SGH) - 1st Chemo (6th medicine)

Today is the day for the 6th Medicine to be done on me. It is called Methotrexate (MTX). And this medicine need me to be hospitalised for 3 days to be on drip to flush out the toxic. It is very toxic to the kidney and liver.

But before the MTX is done on me, they decide to input a catheter from my right chest. It is basically a tube inserted from the right chest all the way to near the heart. The tube can last for 6 mths to 1 year and any blood taken or medicine given will be via the tube. 

At 8.30pm, I was pushed to the radiology department. There is a small procedure room. I was being put under local anesthesia at the right chest and they do a small incision and put the tube through the vein all the way near to my heart. After which, there are two stitches to hold the "switches". So the switch is exposed so that any input or output can do via the two switches. 

I would say it is pretty uncomfortable when they push the tube in. I can feel the tube going in. But other than that, it is overall not as scary as I thought it would be. Maybe because I requested for more LA also! lolz.


The catheter. Nurse say don't publish this photo. But i think it is ok lei. It is my body right? hahaha


MTX given at 11pm, for 6 hours until 5am. And after which I will be on drip and my urine is being monitored. They must make sure I am hydrated. So I keep drinking water also. 

According to the doctor, MTX shouldn't give me too much side effects. Vomiting should not be a problem also.

My hair is still around :)


Lynn gave me these quotes on facebook and I find it very encouraging :)








Time is all you have. And you may find one day that you have less than you think. -- Pg 111 (The Last Lecture)

No comments:

Post a Comment