Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Sunday, November 6, 2011

5th Nov 2011 (Sat): 8th day in Hospital (TTSH & SGH)

Today the doctor came to change the dressing for my wound. And I ask them to help me take a picture of my sexy back. Would like to see how it looks like and how long is it. They say the stitches will dissolve and there will be a scar. Well, it just means when I wear bikini I can reveal that testament of me passed through the hell gate :)

WARNING: Gross pictures below
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Close view of the wound
Far view to see how long is it compared to my b


Good news is that the wound is getting a tad itchy and it just means it is healing!

I have also very nice friends like Shan who says she will visit me next week since she has a flu bug lurking around. And she wants to buy me a book so I suggested maybe an alternative living for cancer patients going through chemo but not toooooo wordy. I am not a book lover muahaha..

Baby Jia Hui.. Cute!

Later, Vera came to visit me too! Haven't seen her since ops day on Sunday which is around one week already. I am so afraid she will forget me. I think this visit she is less afraid because I am in the single ward and it may not be too frightening for her.

She came in and was immediately attracted to the pooh bear! She keeps saying bear bear.. And I told her its Pooh Bear! haha

New found friend-Daddy's nightmare
Keep playing with the walking stick. Her way of saying cheese with the peace sign.

I love the way u say "cheese!" with hands up in the face
At 430pm, I was being transferred to SGH because I will be doing my treatment at National Cancer Centre. It is a A1plus ward (one grade higher than A1) because they do not have A1. But it is so old. I think I got a shock transferring from TTSH to SGH. The furnitures are old, no couch for people to sit, there is only 2 chairs and the TV is too small and the whole place looks old and mouldy. Sorry I have too many visitors 2 chairs is definitely not enough! hahaha

My auntie, uncle and cousins came to visit me and my Auntie looks abit worried and sad. Well, I know that is expressions of love :)

I pray good health for my mum too. She needs to juggle between work and me and she looks really tired. I think of all her three daughters, I am the biggest worry for her except for studies part (though also not very good). She still loves me regardless of the hurt I have given her, the worries I endowed on her and I basically never give her anything in return. I got married early, too poor to give her good allowance and got into this serious condition. She is really a strong person and she loves me with all her might. I hope I can be like her to love Vera with all my heart too.. I love u mummy.

I got in touch with Jomei, an ex-colleague who is a cancer survivor! She said she would visit me tomorrow and I am looking forward. I think it helps to talk to people who has been through it.

And I don't know how did this blog got so popular that when I log into facebook, I saw quite a few people reading it and even those I do not know giving me their blessings. I don't know if it is a good thing to be so publicized. But I hope i serve as an inspiration to people who are down in life. There is much more to life and we should cherish NOW. The people around us now, and not those that chose to leave us or has left us. I always feel lucky cos I have so many friends who visit me, my family is beside me and most importantly, I am not plagued by financial burden to treat this illness (heng I bought hospitalisation plan!) Looking at those poverty countries where kids starve to death, I feel lucky.

Later at night, dear cousin and gr came to visit me and advised me what to ask the oncologist tomorrow when I see him. And cousin actually reading up journals about my condition. If we are not wrong I am having Primary Extradural Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The survival rate is very high at 85% 2 year survival rate but it is very rare condition. Extracted from a journal: The spinal epidural tissue is involved primarily in 0.1-3.3% of cases with spinal cord compression being the commonest presentation. 

And even Fion, the hot mama, called me to advise me on what food to eat. She ask me to take less sugar and also less meat, more vege and fruits because acidic body encourages the cancer cells to grow so we have to try to maintain a alkaline body. Means I have been doing the wrong thing! I thought I have an ops so I keep taking meat to have more protein. Shall try to change my eating habits already.

As this journal is written on the next day morning, I dreamt that I was dancing with my hubby last night. Just hugging and swaying around the room. It's either I miss dancing already or I miss being close to him. So long never hug him. All we do is hold hands nowadays. But I am happy that our relationship is much stronger through this ordeal :)


No comments:

Post a Comment