Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what’s important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, ‘If it wasn’t for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.’ That’s true. If it wasn’t for the downside. ~Joel Siegel

Thursday, November 3, 2011

1st post: Reason for this blog

At 26, when most people are enjoying a mug of ice cold beer in pubs, reaching new heights in career, starting a family, or basically enjoying their youth n health, I, Lim YorkMun, a mother of a 22-mth toddler,pregnant at 13 weeks, was diagnosed with lymphoma- cancer in the lymph nodes. And everything happened rapidly in October, which is just after my 26th birthday on 14 october, hence I created this blog - mylifeafter26.blogspot.com

An overview of what happened till today:
August2011
-tested positive on the pregnancy test kit. The hubby and I were very happy that we can finally give Vera a sibling


Sept2011
-went for a short trip to Genting Highlands and felt sore-ness at right back. Thought that it was just muscle strain. So put pillow behind at every chair I sat on.


3 Oct2011
- backache was worsening with very painful hips joints pain,went to kkh a&e but doc gave me lactulose only to soften stool and 2 weeks mc to rest. He asked
Me to take panadol which is safe for pregnancy and rest at home. He said joints loosening during pregnancy is very common. No cause for alarm

16oct2011
- pain did not subside and yet getting worst. Went back to a&e. was prescribed tramadol as a stronger painkiller. I requested for mc and was only given 4 days! (What a stupid doc and she didn't bother to give me, I requested for it!)
- was given an appt to see ortho at 25 nov 2011 (i thought to myself i might not be able to survive)

19oct 2011-21oct 2011
- pain was unbearable. Back is stabbing with every walk and hips pain felt like labour pain. No amt of painkiller helps.
- cried in the car when hubby fetched me from my mum's place. Decided to go kkh again. I admitted myself so i can see the ortho immediately (So clever right)
- began my 3 days 2 nights "resort stay". Ortho said nothing is wrong with the bones and he thinks an MRI scan wont show anything also.
- discharged on 21 oct 2011 and was glad to find codeine as a painkiller. Tramadol has too much side effects on me

24oct 2011
-pain was still the same unbearable and legs began to feel numb
26 oct 2011
- had difficulty walking and bending down to take things. When I bent down, I could not get up, I would land on my butt!.... Walking like a 80-yr-old woman
28 oct 2011
- went to see a GP in hope of having a peace of mind. But Dr Teo of clinic Camry at Tpy took this seriously, called my gynae Dr Khoo and they suspected I had some thyroid disorder as I had that in my family history. Both of them asked me to admit into kkh immediately.
- went to Kkh again. Dr Khoo referred me to the neurology department in TTsh. Took a non-aircon ambulance to ttsh. I am so glad it is jus a 5 min ride. The ride was so bumpy and stuffy.

29 oct 2011
-my legs are getting 85% numbness and doctors do not dare to do anything becos i am
Pregnant. But in the end they decided that i have to go through a MRI scan to check the spine. The MRI scan was a nightmare! The width is as wide as my body and you have to be in a confined big tube for 30mins and it produces very loud noise. It was very claustrophobic
-mRI results shows that i have a mass at T11 of the spine. Doc says it could be a tumor or an infection. Tumor sounds scary, i teared :(
-They had planned to do a biopsy to take out part of the mass and also to remove the mass that was pressing on my big nerves. However a biopsy requires CT Scan which was 200 times radiation of a x-ray and they were hesitant
-i also need to go thru ct scan and x-rays to see if the mass originates from elsewhere. However the scans were not prompt cos they were worried abt my pregnancy.
-Dr Khoo came to see me. His opinion is i am in 2nd trimester, baby's organs are formed. It shouldnt be affected by the scans. Because deformalities normally occurs during first trimester and long term exposure to the radiations. Nonethless, he wrote in my file to go ahead with all treatments suitable for me disregarding the pregnancy becos i have a living child to look after.

30oct 2011
- 3am: i informed nurse that my legs are totally numb. Condition is deteriorating
-5.30am: brought forward the ct scans
-8am: informed us that i need an operation immediately. It was considered a major operation as it was in the spine. I could see tears in my parents', mother in law's and hubby's eyes. I forgot if I teared too but I think I was just shocked that the operation is jus an hour's away!
-10am: pushed to the operating theatre. Vera cried upon seeing me being pushed away. She shouted "MAMA". I was holding back my tears too.... I teared in the operatin theatre too. Looking at the big spot lights and so many people preparing for the ops looks unreal. I never thought i nd to go through an operation at this age!
- In the operating theatre, the nurses wiped my tears and the doctors asked me about the reason I am in the theatre. I think he was trying to distract me! (DON"T YOU EVEN KNOW THE REASON NOW????)
-They asked me to take deep breaths through the oxygen tank and next moment it was 2.30pm already!
-2.30pm: the nurses woke up and asked me take painkillers. Pushed to ICU. Suspect TB based on the substance of the mass (cheesy-like)
-nurses at ICU are very friendly and helpful. Even need to help me dig my feaces cos i am having very bad constipation (sorry for the gross description)

31 oct -2 nov:
-Basically, i am bedridden. I do all my small n big businesses in bed. It is torturing that i dont even wana pee or shit. But no choice. I am immobile :(
-The bed pan was painful to be sit on!
2 nov:
Finally saw the physio and they allow me to go toilet with assistance! It feels so good to be seated in the toilet bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment